Wednesday, May 2, 2012

SafeTALK

Today's event that I hosted at Fulton-montgomery Community College, was a SafeTALK training.  The focus of this 3 hour training, is to create a "suicide safer" community by preparing you to identify persons with thoughts of suicide and connect them to suicide first aid resources.  

Marianne Reid, was the trainer for the SafeTALK, she was my SafeTALK trainer and she is just so amazing in what she does.  I was very pleased with the turnout, although I surprised that not many students attended, being that suicide is the second leading cause of death among college students.  So I made it one of my goals as a student, to get other students more involved in preventing suicide because this affects us, it affects everyone.  

I highly recommend that everyone be SafeTALK trained, because I know that it makes me feel safer knowing that anywhere I turn, if I need help, someone will be there and that if someone else needs help, I will be there to listen and to help.  

If you're interested in getting SafeTALK trained, contact me and I will love to set you up with the resources you need to host a SafeTALK training in your community, so that you can feel safer and so you can help others feel safer.

No comments:

Post a Comment